Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Birchbox Welcome Box review

Birchbox is another of the beauty subscription services that I've recently joined. It's probably the best known, and actually has a waiting list to subscribe. However, if you give a gift subscription (which must be a minimum of 3 months long) the wait is bypassed. Gift subscriptions don't receive the normal monthly box as their first, but instead get what is called a "welcome box" which the website says is filled with some of the most popular items to get you started. My wonderful mother gave me a gift subscription for Christmas, and it recently arrived on my doorstep, ready to be torn open and reviewed. Let's jump right in, shall we?



 The box is very attractively packaged and includes a nice little welcome note and list of the goodies included. Inside the box, we have five sample products, a "lifestyle extra", and a little gift-giving guide booklet.

 My Welcome Box included:

Pronto Texture & Volume Spray by Oscar Blandi. I've been playing around with hair products a lot more than usual these days, and I'm always looking for volume and texture, so I was excited about this one. Unfortunately, I wasn't particularly impressed. It really didn't give me the promised "voluminous, sexy, tousled look". The texture felt a little too artificial to me, and my hair seemed limp and greasy within a couple of hours. The smell was neither pleasant nor unpleasant, and maybe I just don't know the trick to this one, but I just don't love it.

Eau Flirt from Harvey Prince. Fragrance samples aren't always the most exciting thing in the world, since you can pick them up at pretty much any department store, but I do enjoy checking out new ones that I may not have looked into on my own. This one is sweet and a little fruity over a lightly spiced base. It's cloying at first, but mellows out pretty nicely. It seems a little more like a spring scent to me, but I tend to lean toward richer scents this time of year. Overall, not bad.

Mox Botanicals Pomegranate & Fig Lip Butter. The texture of this is lovely. I'm not totally sold on the flavor/scent for some reason, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I've been using it quite a bit this week as the weather beats up my poor little lips.

Color Club nail polish. The card says that my shade is called "Status Update", but the bottle says "Muse-ical". Based on my highly scientific Google search, it seems that "Status Update" is a slightly lighter grey shade which was included in the September Birchbox. "Muse-ical" is a rich grey that pairs really well with all sorts of neutrals. I quite like it! Here's some shots of my mismatched holiday manicure using "Muse-ical" and China Glaze's "Below Deck":


The last two items in my Welcome Box were a twistband brand hair tie and the "lifestyle extra", a patterned plastic zip bag by tili. The hair tie is one of those stretchy fabric ones with a knot on one end that have been popping up all over Pinterest for a while now. It's actually quite nice, and holds well without leaving a ripple in my hair. I don't know how long anyone can be expected to hold on to a single hair tie without losing it, though, and it looks a little odd if the knot ends up on the top of the ponytail. I'm pretty sure that every woman keeps a spare hair tie on her wrist just in case they need one later in the day, and the little card says that one of the perks of these ties is that they "look as good on our wrists as they do in our ponytails", but I felt very aware of the big knot, and my boyfriend immediately wanted to know what the deal was with the thing around my wrist.

The patterned zip-top bag is cute, I guess, but I have no idea how I'll use it. It's just a plastic bag, so it isn't strong enough to use for a lot of situations, but the only instances where I'd need a plastic bag tend to be times when it's helpful to see inside, and this one is opaque. ::shrug::

Overall, my first Birchbox was nice, but a little underwhelming. Maybe I got spoiled by my more expensive Glossybox, which understandably has a bit more "oomph", and maybe the box will get more exciting now that I've filled out my profile on the website and will be receiving more customized boxes in the future.

Birchbox is a recurring subscription beauty service that delivers new products to your door every month for just $10/mo. Want to try it for yourself? Visit www.birchbox.com or follow this link for a referral!

**Disclaimer** This service was purchased with my own funds and all opinions given are my own. However, the link provided in the previous paragraph refers to my account, which earns me points toward future purchases. If you wish to sign up for Birchbox without using my referral link, you can do so here.

No comments:

Post a Comment